Here are summaries from various sources regarding milestones of the Tai Chi training journey.
1. From Wang Zhongyue “Taijiquan Treatise“ (王宗岳 太极拳论)
- Master the movements (着熟),
- Comprehend the principle of Jin (懂劲).
- Become enlightened (神明).
The “Taijiquan Treatise” was written a few hundred years ago. So the above context may not be clear for modern day practitioners.
2. From Yang Chengfu’s book, further expanding on the above
- Focus on accurate movement (练顺): Mastering the form.
- Focus on training of Jin (练劲): Internal power development.
- Focus on technique (练巧): Mastering the art of Tai Chi technique.
Training on Jin (练劲) and the art of technique (练巧) are on the same direction but can be further explained in the following sequence.
- Heavy, powerful root (松沉)
- Agile, acute (轻灵)
- Nothingness, empty (虚无)